Internship certificate for usmle

aam003

Sir I need help. I have graduated from china and I have done my internship from pakistan lahore general hospital and I have certificates for all the disciplines except emergency and neurology (among the disciplines that my univ required) because there are no such departments in LGH. I have told my univ that emergency is part of every discipline in LGH and neurology is under medicine. They say that its acceptable. But they say that they will write on my internship certificate (If I ask them to give me, otherwise they assume I have got my internship certificate from LGH) emergency and neurology as separate disciplines and they will also write the name of the hospital (LGH) where I did my internship. Now when I apply for tests like plab or usmle, they require internship certificate signed by dean/principal of the institution where internship was peformed and they are also going to verify the source of my certificate.
1. Am I screwed? As when they'll ask where I did my emergency and neurology internship.
2. Wouldn't they say why your internship certificate not issued by LGH where you actually did your internship? Because I don't have one because it is illegal and the principal of LGH wont issue one to me.
3. And also aren't they going to source verify from LGH? Because if they do, I'm screwed again because it is illegal to do internship in pakistan before license in public hospitals and our internship certificates are not in hospital record.
Has anything like this happened to anyone before? I'm so worried about it please help me out.

cybron

You sure that usmle verify internship??
As far as i know uni.. docs needs to be verified not internship becuz 1 year internshp is compulsory for degree n if u have degree it means uni. has verified it.So this is not ecfmg headache...(not sure) ..i have applied for ecfmg n they only ask me that if internship compulsory(yes or no)

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well, aam003 i dont think so that they will verify that u have did ur internship there or not as the certificate origin will be from university and they verify only the origin of certificate not the work done!
hopefully it will not be a problem, stay cool

azeem.gulzar

Leecher
i finished my theory work from china..now i want to do my internship from teaching hospital but in punjab govt hospiatl they r very strict and they r not offering internship for foreigner graduates so my question is can i do my internship from private teaching hospital???is it officially allowed to do interns in private teaching hospital in punjab??/drwatson please ans my question...

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
private teaching hospital is also allowed, as the hospital should be teaching hospital not an ordinary hospital.
You can also search for Semi- Govt hospital, they offer internship, such as Railway hospital, RWP, Social Security hospital ISB etc.

aam003

Sorry for late reply :oops: I have found a few things regarding Internship Certificate (Clinical clerkship) for USMLE:

Note: I don't currently have an ECFMG Account so I don't know whats beyond that threshold :(. So I would very much like to know everything about Internship (Clerkship) in the process of registration with ECFMG beyond that point :).

1. I didn't find anywhere on the ECFMG website that they source verify Internship. They only mention Diploma and Transcript where they say about source verification. However they say "International medical graduates must document the completion of all requirements for, and receipt of, the final medical diploma".
Don't know if that includes Internship (Clerkship) or not. Any idea?
Link: http://www.ecfmg.org/2014ib/credentials-requirements.html

2. ECFMG FAQs mention Internship (Clerkship) in the fourth paragraph under question 4 where they say you need to "gather the required information". What does that mean ?
Link: https://iwa2.ecfmg.org/iwafaq.asp#4

3. ECFMG Application Instructions Item 21 and 21 A Say:
"For all clinical clerkships, select the clinical discipline from the list, and enter the name of the hospital/clinic, the hospital/clinic address, and the name of the physician who supervised the clinical clerkship. You must also provide the dates of the clinical clerkship.".
Are they going to ask the doctors whether one has done Internship (Clerkship) or not under their supervision o_O?
Link: https://iwa2.ecfmg.org/instruct.asp

Is there anyone who has gone through this process who can clarify all the above and tell me what's the role of Internship (Clerkship) in USMLE/ECFMG/Residency Please?
Thanks

Last edited:

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
In USA, Clinical clerkship is clinical attachment or observership whereas internship referred by ECFMG is the house job.
They have the right to source verify whether they mention it or not.
Link in point 2 doesn't refer to what you are asking.
Yes they may contact the supervisor regarding confirmation of your clerkship.

I haven't gone through the process but have some insight to the process.

aam003

In USA, Clinical clerkship is clinical attachment or observership whereas internship referred by ECFMG is the house job.
They have the right to source verify whether they mention it or not.
Link in point 2 doesn't refer to what you are asking.
Yes they may contact the supervisor regarding confirmation of your clerkship.

I haven't gone through the process but have some insight to the process.
I have no problem with them source verifying the House Job. But I was actually talking about clinical clerkship not house job.
I have corrected the link in point 2. Thanks for notifying.
As far as I know hundreds of students from universities in China and Russia come to Pakistan for clinical clerkship every year. Most of them do their clerkship in government hospitals. As we know very well clerkship done in a government hospital has no legal or academic value. I have even met people who never did their Clerkship and forged the evidence to their universities. I also know that most of the foreign grads don't appear in pmdc. They go for foreign medical licensing exams like USMLE, Plab, AMC, MCC etc. What do they do about their clinical clerkship? Because clerkship done from a government hospital is almost nonexistent. Either I am the only one mistaken in the whole world or thousands of Pakistani foreign medical graduates can never go for foreign medical licensing exam. I am looking for the answer to it.

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well how can you say that a clinical clerkship is non existing if done in a government hospital? And from where would it be called as existent or valid?
Any experience or clerkship in a teaching hospital whether it's government or private, it's valid and has more value than non teaching hospital.

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
In point 2, on the link where it's written gather all the information means you should collect all the information about your experience and education etc and then give to them. Simple

aam003

For the purpose of learning skills and exposure to a variety of patients clerkship in government hospital is good but on the legal grounds it doesn't count. I have all the certificates of clerkship from different departments in LGH but I know that they cannot be source verified because clerkship is illegal in Punjab and they don't keep a record of clerkship certificates they issue. That makes clerkship from government hospitals legally nonexistent.

drwatson

CEO
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well the certificates are genuine and if they are genuine then they should be able to verify it. Clerkship in punjab being illegal is a stupid decision of pmdc, and they are not gonna verify it from pmdc.
You may skip the clerkship and send housejob certificate if you have done.

aam003

I don't think they will be able to verify. I just hope clerkship isn't compulsory for USMLE. Thanks for your help. Meanwhile I hope someone with similar circumstances who has gone through this process sees this thread and replies.

Haha STATE government doesn't value clerkship outside states, in match they only look at clinical experience (clerkship/internship )done in USA. and reference letters from professors or doctors of their own country.
What helps in match is YOUR SCORE , RESEARCH EXPERIENCE, CLINICAL EXPERIENCE IN USA, and REFERENCE LETTERS. So don't worry.